Monday, May 21, 2012

Pagan Insights Project - Eureka!

Eureka! - post about something new that you have learned, or discovered recently, that is related to your path or Paganism in general.

I've actually been learning a lot since I've been able to get my hands on books and have actually been able to read. One I found in Egyptian Mythology: A Guide to the Gods, Goddesses, and Traditions of Ancient Egypt by Geraldine Pinch. It was the Egyptologists argue over the origin of the conflict between Set and Heru myth. Though I've been finding out by reading Red Land, Black Land that they argue about other things as well. But some Egyptologists argue that the origin of the myth stemmed from the conflict between Ombos and Hierakonpolis where Set and a falcon god, respectively, was the local god. Though it was noted in the footnotes that even if that origin was true the function of the myth was purely religious in nature.

Finding out this information taught me more than what was on the surface. It opened my eyes. It showed me that we really don't know these myths or culture like I thought we did. While I knew that there were still pieces missing I had thought that we knew everything about what we did have. In school, it seemed like they were teaching us absolute truths. That what they taught us couldn't change (I still say Pluto is a planet damn it. I want My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas. Not My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Noodles). That we just build upon it to advance. So it was only natural that what I was able to find in doing research wasn't completely shrouded in mysteries still. That everything there was to know about that particular subject was already known.

If any of this makes any sense at all. I hope it does. If not leave me a comment and I'll try to explain better.

No comments:

Post a Comment